Using Greek yogurt instead of cream makes this penne dish the absolute trifecta: low fat, high protein, and easy as pie. Mmm… Pie…
Feel to boost the protein factor with grilled shrimp or chicken! Or keep it vegetarian!
Aesthetically appealing and easy, this has got to be easiest pasta dish ever. Well, besides lasagna, but as far as healthy options go… This penne dish takes the cake! Mmm.. Cake…
– Whole Wheat Penne
-1/2 tblspoon olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic
– 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional, but don’t be a wuss)
– 2 medium ripe tomatoes
– Fresh spinach and/or arugula
– 1 package chopped button mushrooms (or any kind will do!)
– 1/2 cup marinara sauce
– 1/4 plain Greek yogurt
– Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cook penne in boiling water, drain and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium/low heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, cook until garlic begins to soften.
3. Add mushrooms and tomatoes. Salt & pepper vegetables, cook for 3-5 minutes covered.
*if adding shrimp or chicken, throw it on the grill now.
4. Remove lid and place skillet on low heat. Add cooked penne, spinach, Greek yogurt, pasta sauce. Stir until sauce is well mixed and veggies coated.
5. Keep on low to ensure warm through. Serve topped w arugula,
protein, or parmesan cheese.
Told you it was an easy penne dish!